Search GST Tax Rate for Goods and Services tax in India
|Id||Chp||Headline||Description||Rate (%)||Data Entered||Applicable UpTo||Noti||Remark|
The “GST Rate Search Tool” provides various parameters to search for GST Rates.
- Description : 1 or more words describing the good or commodity
- Chapter : Chapter Number
- Headline : Chapter Number and Heading
- Rate(%) : Rate of the Commodity
- Date : Date on which the search result is required
- Notification : Notification Number in which rate is declared
To restrict search enter data in 1 or more fields known to you. However, it is mandatory to fill Headline or description.
Finding GST Rate for Goods is not a 2 second job, you need to follow “Focus Up” approach to get your GST Tax Rate.
- Start by searching for your goods or commodity in Description Box.
- Try to figure out, in which chapter your Product / Good falls into.
- To restrict the search, to a particular Chapter, enter chapter number.
- After entering chapter number, start searching again using description.
- In step 4, you will figure out, “Headline” in which section your Product / Good falls into.
- Once you have first 4 digit of your hsn code (i.e. Headline), search now only by using Headline to get the GST Rate
- Step 6 is essential as there can be case where there are 2 GST rates for same Headline.
- Use HSN Search Tool to find HSN of a product / commodity.
GST Rate searching tool for Goods and Services Tax (GST) works best on a desktop. For optimum speed use Chrome (59+) or Firefox (54+)
Downloads relating to GST Rates
You can find all the latest downloads relating to GST Rates here. The number below corresponds to the “Noti” above in the table. Did we miss anything? Email us at admin(at)gstindia.net. The CGST Rate Notification mentions tax rate for Central Goods and Services tax, which is half of IGST. To maintain consistency, we have named the files exactly same as they have been named by GST council webiste.
- CGST Rate Schedule for Taxable Goods issued on 28-06-2017 – Updated in Database on 06-07-2017
- CGST Rate Schedule for Exempt Goods issued on 28-06-2017 – Updated in Database on 06-07-2017
- CGST Rate Addendum to Taxable goods issued on 30-06-2017 – Pending
Over and above GST rate, cess is levied on certian goods and services, below is the list of notifications for cess
- Cess on Goods issued on 28-06-2017
- Cess on Services issued on 28-06-2017
- Addendum to Cess on Goods issued on 30-06-2017
- Addendum to Cess on Services issued on 30-06-2017
Pre 28 June 2017, Government has released PDF files based on discussion in GST Council meeting. Now, these files are not relevant, they are kept for historical records.
- Rate Schedule for Goods based on GST Council meeting held on 18-05-2017
- Rate Schedule for Goods based on GST Council meeting held on 03-06-2017
- Compensation Cess based on GST Council meeting held on 18-05-2017
- Addendum to the GST Rate Schedule of meeting held on 18-05-2017 (issued on 22-05-2017)
- Addendum to the GST Rate Schedule of meeting held on 03-06-2017 (issued on 03-06-2017)
- IGST Exemption and Concession List based on GST Council meeting held on 03-06-2017
- GST Rate Schedule for services based on GST Council meeting held on 18-05-2017
- List of Services under reverse charge based on GST Council meeting held on 18-05-2017
- Addendum to the GST Rate (Goods) Schedule of meeting held on 11-06-2017 (issued on 11-06-2017)
- Addendum to the GST Rate (Services) Schedule of meeting held on 11-06-2017 (issued on 11-06-2017)
- IGST Exemption and Concession List based on GST Council meeting held on 11-06-2017
- Composition Scheme Limit change based on GST Council meeting held on 11-06-2017
Peculiarities of finding GST Rates.
There are 6 Rates for goods and services. Goods are classified in 6 Schedules (mentioned below) for purpose of assigning Tax Rate. Apart from 6 schedules, there is another schedule specifying exempt goods. The default tax rate for goods is 18%. Thus in a case where goods are not classified in any schedule, they will get classified under IIIrd schedule.
(i)5 per cent. in respect of goods specified in Schedule I,
(ii)12 per cent. in respect of goods specified in Schedule II,
(iii)18 per cent. in respect of goods specified in Schedule III,
(iv)28 per cent. in respect of goods specified in Schedule IV,
(v)3 per cent. in respect of goods specified in Schedule V
(vi)0.25 per cent. in respect of goods specified in Schedule VI
GST Rates for Goods are defined at various levels
- General Level (Not specific to a chapter). In this case, we have mentioned Chapter number as “00”
- Chapter Level (Not specific to a Headline). In this case, we have mentioned Headline as “0000” or “Chapter Number & 00”
- Headline Level. In this case, we have mentioned actual Headline number.
While the government has tried to align rates to HSN, but in may cases, while searching for GST rates, you may come across for the same Headline / HSN, there is more than one tax rate. Hence once you find your tax rate by searching using description, try searching by just entering headline. This will get you the result of the cases (if any) where the same headline which has more than one tax rate.
gstindia.net Team View: GST Council has done a commendable job in fixing GST rates of Goods and Services in such a short period of time. Just imagine the humongous task of fixing rates for all the goods which exist or will exist.
About GST Rate Search tool
We have developed this tool for benefit of our users of gstindia.net. However, we believe in sharing this great tool with the world, Hence we have made it available for all visitors of gstindia.net. Please do not misuse it. If we find visitors misusing this tool which crashes our server, we shall make this tool available to members only.
While we have taken great effort in ensuring error-free searching, we are however not responsible for any loss caused by the use of this tool. The finding of rate is a subject matter of expertise and always consult your GST Tax Consultant.
Help us Improve it
Have more ideas on improving this tool? Found any bugs? Search not working as expected? email us at admin(at)gstindia.net. In case you loved this tool, and want to help us develop more such tools, feel free to get in touch with us – admin(at)gstindia.net
The change log provides you information about what changes we have made to the tool over a period of Time.
- 07-07-2017 – Updated GST Rates dataabse taking into consideration all notifications issued on 28 June 2017.
- 06-07-2017 – Added Notifications relating to GST Rates issued on 28 and 30 June.
- 06-07-2017 – Cleared database which was created based on GST Council Meeting.
- 29-06-2017 – Database is outdated, as Government have issued fresh notifications for GST Rates.
- 20-06-2017 – Added support for decimal Tax Rate.
- 17-06-2017 – Updated database to take into account Addendum issued by GST Council on 11 June 2017.
- 17-06-2017 – Added files issued as per dissussion in 16th GST Coucil meeting on 11 June 2017 in download section.
- 07-06-2017 – Added database of all goods based on Tax Rates fixed by GST Council on 03 June 2017.
- 07-06-2017 – Updated database to take into account Addendum issued by GST Council on 22 May 2017.
- 07-06-2017 – Fixed Dates bug (which caused year to appear in “Applicable Till” Column.
- 06-06-2017 – Upgrade database to MariaDB 10.0 (This will make searching faster)
- 05-06-2017 – Beta Launch of “GST Rate Search” Tool
- 03-06-2017 – Added database of all goods based on Tax Rates fixed by GST Council on 18 May 2017.
- 20-05-2017 – Alfa Version launched.
- 10-05-2017 – Decision was taken to develop GST Rate Search Tool.